Hanging out with Pollsters and Someone who Dominated the Polls (And Governor McMasters Dog)

 Tuesday morning my fifth day on the Road to the White House trip to South Carolina I spent my day with the Winthrop Polling Pollsters. I got to learn the science and design the polls which I study daily. Rule number one was understanding that how you ask the questions matters the most. 
There is something called the primary that is putting something in the forefront of the reader's mind. It usually happens unintentionally but can also happen when the questions are ordered a certain way. Framing is also a key component and it is when something, the order or presentation is ordered to get a specific answer. Double Barreled Questions are when you ask 2 things at once. Ultimately good polls include a good size, a good sample group, and a good question.
We had a tour of the governor's mansions which was a highlight of this trip as the Governors have something I longed for 5 days away from home. A bulldog. I got to meet the first dog, Mac. The mansion was gorgeous and the history was fascinating but really that dog made it. This made me have to check in on my own bulldog Gilbert from my puppy camera home in the Tampa bay. He was adorable, how fitting such an adorable thing lived in such a beautiful home. 

I then got to meet the man the myth the legend Congressman James Clyburn from South Carolina, a democratic known to dominate polls here. He believes South Carolina is the birthplace of reconstruction in America, the history proves that Black Americans were kept from voting. 

Slavery was not an enlightened institution it was a fault of the institution. His advice to us was whenever you stand up to give a speech you will be nervous and mess up. His father told him to give his speeches in the 3's for the Son, the Lord, and the Holy Spirit. But in politics that means explaining what you are doing for the person, their family, and their community. 


After that we watched the Florida Democratics Party delegate selection process zoom. Our professor who has proudly been a DNC delegate since forever (for real I do not know how long it has been) was thrilled to see her students potenailly run to be a delegate. As a member of the FDP Youth Council appointed by our Chair Nikki Fried I had a couple contact to get our class a shoutout! To say our professor was excited was the least of it! It was so fun to come together as democrats and just enjoy learning the process of what it is like to be apart of the party at such a big scale. 









Comments

Popular Posts