Spent the Day with the South Carolina Republicans! (Including Vivek Ramaswamy)


On day 6 of The Road to the White House trip to South Carolina, I spent my morning with the South Carolina Republican Party. As a Democrat myself I honestly was interested in understanding what the party does, it had always personally confused me to understand how some states were such super majorities, including South Carolina. The South Carolina Republican Party Executive Director Hope is a superstar, a young talent. It was so interesting to learn the ways of a party when their Chair is not only the chair of the State Party but the Vice Chair of the Republican National Party. Hope the Executive Director was a younger woman who just had everything down to a science it was fascinating. Some notes I took from the conversation was the constant reminder of how we live in a constitutional Republic, emphasizing on republic. Also, I asked the e.d. her thoughts on groups of Republicans who do not fall into the populist side of things, such as the Lincoln Project, and fierce Republicans who refuse to vote for Donald Trump. 
She noted she hates them, which from a party leader's standpoint makes sense because it splits the party but was also interesting because it dilutes the members of having a choice if they all back who they are told to. Especially in a party that has seen such rapid change so quickly. Though I have never been in the party from the outside watching the leadership go from Bush to Trump was a shock. Another thing was how confident they were, though they had a 25% turnout for voters to either support their former president or their former governor. The party seems split to me as it is, with many voters after the 2016 election do not want to return after the rise of Donald Trump. We see this with so many people backing Nikki Haley even though they do not like her but more so they dislike Trump.
But I will give them this the elephant looked so nice, they really had it everywhere I loved it truly. I then went a block down back to my place with the Democrats, where we met with Lindsay Green the director of GOTV, for my non-politicos out there that means Get Out The Vote! She discusses the numbers and the fieldwork, they got a bus to go around and do smaller rallies to reach out to people. But with an interesting turn of events, the Republican party earlier let us know Vivek Ramaswamy was coming into town to speak and we should go and watch. So we went off to see Vivek. Now this was a whole other breed of Republican, the women next to me were discussing their involvement in the January 6th insurrection, and she also mentioned how mean the FBI was to her. My mouth was on the floor. I knew people stormed the capital I watched it live. But now one was right in front of me. I could not believe it. Nevertheless, I went on and watched Vivek and his speech. 
Those who liked him the most tended to be white males. Like overwhelmingly white men. The speech was really confusing, but the tactic was interesting truly. Vivek being a rich man with wealthy parents almost brought himself down to the level of the blue collard men in front of us. 
He always seemed to discuss the importance of Trump and how he is the true one to save us. Not Vivek even when being asked about him being the Vice President pick, he still humbled himself saying how much of an honor it is to even be considered by supreme leader, I mean former President Trump. It was crazy but honestly hanging out with radical republicans all day truly made me a better democrat. 

Comments

Popular Posts